Today’s writing idea: A song comes on the radio and instantly, you’re transported to a different time and place. Which song(s) bring back memories for you and why? Be sure to mention the song, and describe the memory it evokes.
The radio in my car crapped out earlier this winter. My husband got me a new one for Christmas and installed it, but I find I still don’t turn it on very often. I’ve gotten used to the quiet; it helps me transition from home to work and back home again during my commute.
During the day I have to travel among the agency’s sites in three different cities and occasionally I will turn on the radio. Last week, on one of my safari’s Providence to Central Falls, I tuned into the local “oldies” station. When I think of the oldies it’s about the 50′s and 60′s music; as I age, apparently oldies now includes songs from the 80′s, imagine my surprise. In any event, the Bon Jovi song “Livin’ On a Prayer” came thumping through the speakers and a big smile covered my face.
All I have to hear is the few opening beats and I know what is coming. And, regardless of where I am, I think of my grandson, Kash. When he lived with us it was his favorite song. My husband made a CD of all the favorite songs the kids liked to sing in the car. Livin’ On A Prayer was the first song–so, we heard it a lot. It was also on my iPod, and Steve’s too; we could hear it regardless of which car we were in or which of the kids were with us. Steve would play it in the truck when he dropped off the kids at camp. I had it at the ready when picking them up after a long, sweaty, hot day. As long as I had a snack bag, cold drinks and these songs, the ride home would be peaceful.
Before the kids lived with us I’ll admit, I probably couldn’t sing anything but the chorus of the song. When I heard it last week I sang every word! For that, and the smile it brings to my face; today’s thank you goes to my grandson, Kash! XO
Lots of bloggers have plenty to remind them:
- We Weren’t Lovers, Just Brave Strangers (B. Seger) | meanderedwanderings
- A Dream Chaser, A Love “Echo” | From Hiding to Blogging
- Today sparrows | shame
- Valentine’s Challenge | Mila’s Misadventures
- Daily Prompt: Always Something There To Remind Me « Mama Bear Musings
- Back to the Mystic | the TEMENOS JOURNAL
- Daily Prompt: Always Something There to Remind Me | The Paperback Chronicles
- Daily Prompt: Always Something There to Remind Me | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: Always something there to remind me | The River Mom
- Musical memories – Cassandra Wilson´s Time After Time | mamangerie
- Daily Prompt: Always Something There to Remind Me | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Always Something There to Remind Me | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The ‘Super’ 70′s. That kind of music just soothes the soul. | A Wiser Fella Than Myself Once Said…
- Daily Prompt: Past | The Wandering Poet
- in you (the past lingers in the lyrics) | peacefulblessedstar
- Thank God For The Radio | Goodnight Hestia